Information Services Reception Extension, York
Form of Contract
JCT Design & Build
University of York
We were selected to undertake a critical fast track remodelling project to the Information Centre on the Western Campus, which included the replacement and extension of the reception area within a new, curved, curtain walling façade.
Internally, the existing finishes were stripped out and redesigned by Britcon with new floor finishes, ceilings and feature walls and associated MEP and IT Services.
Procurement of new and installed furnishings took place to allow the Information Centre to become more efficient in how it manages the flow and handling of visitors as well as its image presentation and information display.
Key Project Challenges
- Ground contamination and reutilise in building level build-up.
- Programme to ensure funding compliance.
- Social outcomes and local spend – 106 requirements.
- Reducing carbon and energy costs – BREEAM rating.
How we successfully delivered the project
We undertook ECI with all stakeholders and developed a stakeholder engagement plan. This included engaging with a number of specialist suppliers who had valuable campus knowledge.
We produced detailed RAMS and a programme to minimise our impact on site. Utilsed MMC for some of the M&E elements to support delivery of the fast-track programme.
Our experienced, local team used our 4Projects project management software to automate many of the contract and workflow processes, supporting transparency and collaboration with the client, project team and designers.
- MMC use and lean programming supported the 16 week delivery programme.
- Facility was ready and fully commissioned for the new university term.
- Use of a social value calculator, helped the University demonstrate tangible impacts to support their UN Sustainable Development goals.
Added value and social impact:
- SROI £46k
- 100% of waste recycled
- All supplier payments within 30 days
- 90% of subcontracts placed locally
- 24 apprentice weeks supported
- 1 work experience placements provided
- 9/10 customer satisfaction score