Outside Teaching Spaces, University of York
Form of Contract
JCT Design & Build
University of York
Britcon was employed on a single-stage negotiation basis to deliver fast track emergency works for three external classroom/teaching spaces on the East Heslington Campus for use by the Student Residency, Faculty of Law and Piazza Library, during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Works included the diversion of existing services, removal of existing hardstanding, foundations and floor slab together with the construction of permanent fabric-cladded buildings.
Within the internal space, new media connectivity - consisting of TV monitors, Wi-Fi and mood lighting, was installed.
Key Project Challenges
- Completion for the new 2021 term date.
- IT and media connectivity.
- Site remained live with international students present.
- Safe delivery on a logistically complex educational site.
- Affordability, delivery within the project budget.
- Fast track programme.
How we successfully delivered the project
We acted as principal designer and contractor, ensuring compliance with CDM-2015. We maximised the use of technology and MMC in the erection sequence to ensure the 13-week fast track programme was achieved for the new term and the arrival of international students. Early supply chain engagement and collaborative working with a specialist supplier was a key component. We produced detailed RAMS and a programme to minimise our impact on site.
Our experienced local team used our 4Projects project management software to automate many of the contract and workflow processes, supporting transparency and collaboration with the client, project team and designers.
- MMC use and lean programming supported the 13-week delivery programme.
- Digital collaboration tools supported the efficient exchange of design information.
- Use of a social value calculator, helped the University demonstrate tangible impacts to support their UN Sustainable Development goals.
Added value and social impact:
- SROI £138k
- All supplier payments with 30 days
- 100% of waste recycled
- 90% of subcontracts placed locally
- 1 work experience placement provided
- 9/10 customer satisfaction score